AIFS Forum

Das Forum rund um alle Programme von AIFS

MOBILE PHONES AND INTERNET USAGE

Für Camp America Teilnehmer und diejenigen, die es noch werden wollen!

Beitrag von nils~ » 20 Apr 2006 18:55

My camp director even encouraged us to either buy a phone card or to get a cellphone with prepaid cards, he also explained us where to get prepaids and what provider we can select from.
He did a really job, we get all the information we need. Ok thats offtopic now, but its great!

phones

Beitrag von Mandy - Melb office » 13 Dez 2006 06:35

HI Guys,

Here's a post that may be interesting to you.

Cheers,
mandy

Beitrag von drewvictor » 30 Jan 2007 02:39

Hey all,

My current mobile is due for an update. I think before I leave for America, I will get either a tri or quadband phone. When I get over there, probably invest in a American Sim Card. As its been mentioned, mobiles might not be allowed on camps, even then, the reception might be crap.. For calls and such to home, might just get an international phone card, that you can call from any phone. I would only really use the mobile if im out with friends on the days off, or after camp travellling, just to keep in contact, meet up, arrange times with fellow travellers, and not use the mobile to call home during camp times..

That seems to be a good way to go.

Boo LG, they are terrible. Go the Nokia!

Just my 0.02c

Andrew
"It's the kid inside of us that keeps us all from going crazy..."
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von twitchy » 15 Feb 2007 01:25

Zuletzt geändert von twitchy am 15 Feb 2007 13:53, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Beitrag von drewvictor » 15 Feb 2007 12:07

What on earth would you do with a laptop on camp? Provided there is internet access at camp, chances are u cant hook it up to a network to use.. In my opinion, its just extra baggage, extra weight, and an extra worry, for fear of it breaking or getting stolen..

Andrew
-J.D., Scrubs

Mobile Phones

Beitrag von Shazzy » 17 Feb 2007 07:14

Hi guys

I bought a phone and sim card over in the states as it is cheaper than taking your on phone over. I only used it to message home to tell them i was alive and i used phone cards to call. I went with T-mobile and it only cost 10c to message home compared with 65c with my aussie mobile.

Have a great trip!
Cheers Sharyn

Beitrag von mattyb » 17 Feb 2007 07:41

So ive got 2 empty tin cans...

...i just need a piece of string long enough to reach from Texas to Australia.
Bild

Beitrag von drewvictor » 17 Feb 2007 16:51

Matty,

Find a clown.. They have seemingly endless amounts of coloured hankies, surely they have a never ending bit of string??

Andrew
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von RyanH » 17 Feb 2007 22:24

Hey guys,

Before i leave im going to order thru this website. I got a phone off the Internet thats unlocked and triband so im just going for a sim pack!

http://www.fonepool.com/index.html

Ryan

phones

Beitrag von Mandy - Melb office » 10 Sep 2007 06:12

Just moving to the top of the list.

Beitrag von drewvictor » 10 Sep 2007 09:44

Ooooh, something I can relate to..

Phones is a big deal in America, as you want to keep in contact with people while you are away.

Two best things I did, was buy an international calling card, which is cheap, cheap calls overseas, to talk to friends and family back home. And I also bought me a mobile phone, mainly to use to contact other mates on camp, for nights off and post camp shenanigans. I opted for something called a Tracfone. Basically, you buy the fone (choice of a cheap nokia, half decent motorola etc, depends on prices) and you activate it (give it to the guy behind the counter and get him to do it all, saves you a lot of time) and away you go! Instead of buying credit, you get "units", where 1 unit= 1 minute calling time, txting is 0.3 units. Recharging is cheap, and you get a good deal of reception, I did on camp in Maine, and its still going strong all around the states. Wal-Mart sell them, but I generally found Radioshack to be a whole heap cheaper, and they are nicer there.

Yay for first hand experience.

Andrew
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von Anja » 10 Sep 2007 15:02

wow Radioshack cheap :shock: - hm maybe they have different pricing...
We checkt the mobiles at Target and Walmart in NJ - chose to use a Nokia at Walmart with a prepaid card of Net10.
Was a great deal since it came with 300 free minutes and including the phone it was $30 (texting was 1/2 min).

Make sure you check the coverage area of the different phone companies - and pick one that is available (no, not all are covering 100% of the US).
Viele Gruesse,
Bild Anja (Forummama)

2014-? Wharton, NJ
2006-2014 Stuttgart
2006 Point Pleasant, NJ
1999/00 AuPair 4 Kids in Toms River,NJ
Home Rheinbreitbach

Webseite meines AuPair-Jahres und vielem mehr

Beitrag von drewvictor » 10 Sep 2007 22:38

Yeah this fone was designed to be a quick setup, quick start, easily recharged phone. I got it for $15 from Radioshack, and you can buy things like Double Your Minutes, so when you recharge, $40 gets you like 800 minutes, its fantastic.
-J.D., Scrubs

Vorherige

Zurück zu Camp America