AIFS Forum

Das Forum rund um alle Programme von AIFS

MOBILE PHONES AND INTERNET USAGE

Für Camp America Teilnehmer und diejenigen, die es noch werden wollen!

MOBILE PHONES AND INTERNET USAGE

Beitrag von Krystal » 19 Apr 2006 08:46

Hey guys wots everyone doing about mobile phones?
im on a plan, and dont know whether to just take a nokia phone and buy a sim card over there?
wot are u guys doing? Coz im on three atm and i know its not going to work over there.

Also do u guys know if we have internet access at most camps? coz im not gonna survive without my email, and chatting to my mates.

Ciao 4 nowsies
Hi im Krystal Harris, im turning 19, and cant wait till America. It was such a last minute decission to go, but im stoked now. I love the beach, dancing, smiling, bbqing, and i luv being an Aussie! xox

Beitrag von h0dGi » 19 Apr 2006 08:57

ive been looking at phones and talking to phone people lately for the same reason (im on telstra) and as long as your phone as triband and its set up and something to do with international roaming turned on, your phone will work, but i dont think you can use your sim card from here. when my sister went to canada she bought a sim card over there, just a pre-paid one, which was really cheap so yeah.

oh and my camp has internet access
Bild

Beitrag von Deb » 19 Apr 2006 10:56

Hey, I'm not sure about the whole phone thing, I'm looking into it myself at the moment. Internet access depends on the individual camp, the access at my camp is limited to receiving emails on the camps email address. Although, we have been told there is a library in the nearest town that we can go to on our days off and use the internet for free.

Beitrag von Ainkara » 19 Apr 2006 11:38

Internet and computer access is on a camp by camp basis. My camp does have computers, but some might not even have electricity.

As for your phone, you'll have to ring up your individual service provider to see if they have international roaming if you want to keep your own number. You can keep your SIM if you have international roaming authorised, and should keep it anyway so you can have your same number again when you come back. I think I should point out that there is only ONE phone company that I am aware of, t-mobile, that actually sells SIM cards up there. If you want a prepaid phone, you need to buy the phone that is locked with the SIM of the company you buy it from, kinda like how 3 does here.

Also, your phone needs to be triband, otherwise it won't work on the American frequency. Oh, and as is mentioned on another topic, you need to make sure your phone charger will work in American power outlets. Australia and most of the rest of the world runs on 240 volts, America runs on 110. So you need to check any appliances you want to bring and see what it says about the voltage. If it says 200-240, you need a power adapter as well as a plug adapter. If it says 100-240, then you're fine and only need the power adapter.

Now I've forgotten what this post was about....

If any of you want any help with phones or anything, I've looked into it a fair bit, so either PM me, or email me or something. I'm on MSN now, polgara_187@hotmail.com
Bild

Beitrag von steph>>> » 19 Apr 2006 11:48

hey im with three and im taking my phone (nokia) its got tri band so thats all kool and got international roaming...and its all good..its a bit expensive but...lol i dont think that makes sense but hope it helps... :D
IM SOO FREEKIN EXCITED :-)............

Beitrag von emmy_lou » 19 Apr 2006 12:41

I thought international roaming was really expensive and its a lot cheaper to jus buy an American sim card.. thats what someone told me.
Bild

Beitrag von Tabitha » 19 Apr 2006 12:49

yeah i think it is more expensive with international roaming. i thought about it but i dont think that i will be messaging my friends or family while im in america because i dont usually use it to tell them alot of information, i use it to work out when we're going to meet up etc.. and since they're not gonna be in the same country i dont think i will use it much!! email and phone calls will probably come in handy :)

i think i'll get an american sim card but do u need a tri band phone? is that the only requirement??
And I said to him, "Look buddy, your car was already upside down and on fire when i got here, and your grandma, she shouldnt have mouthed off like that.."
-Homer Simpson

Beitrag von h0dGi » 19 Apr 2006 13:18

i think having a phone with triband would be the only thing you need.. my sisters phone is older than mine, and all she did was bought a simcard there and it worked fine, and the provider was quite cheap, 15c for international messages.
Bild

Beitrag von robski » 19 Apr 2006 13:19

dont suppose anyone knows if an lg c1100 is triband :P
Bild

Beitrag von nils~ » 19 Apr 2006 13:38

LG C1100 is GSM Dualband!

Usually Motorolas are TriBand, as they are from us.

Beitrag von h0dGi » 19 Apr 2006 13:47

oh the phone guy told me today, aussie model phones dont need triband to work in europe coz they use the same tower.. or something along those lines?
Bild

Beitrag von robski » 19 Apr 2006 14:03

nils~ hat geschrieben:LG C1100 is GSM Dualband!

stupid crap lg :x can anyone tell me a phone that isnt too expensive that is triband if i decide to invest in one or give me an example of a motorola that is or if someone has a phone that is triband..which is good and reliable? cause ive had nothing but problems with the lg..prices would be great too if anyone can be bothered with that much effort haha :roll:
Bild

Beitrag von shelz » 19 Apr 2006 14:14

best thing to do is get a sim card from the country you are heading to. if you go with your current telstra optus sim, you wil be charged for receiving calls back through to aust (out your arse basically)
set your current voicemail up with a mesage stating your number when you get os and jus leave it off.

Beitrag von shelz » 19 Apr 2006 14:15

oh, andif you ave a gsm phone (sim card in the back) and its 3 yrs or younger, then it will be triband.

Beitrag von Ainkara » 19 Apr 2006 14:18

For most people it would be a lot cheaper to have an American mobile number. But like I said, there is only one company that I know of that sells SIM cards there. Not like Australia or most other countries.

In most cases, if you want an American phone number you will have to buy the phone with the SIM already inside it. This is locked, so you cannot remove the SIM and expect the phone to work. I don't even know if they have SIM's in those phones. You can get prepaid SIM cards from t-mobile, but that is the only US carrier I have been able to find so far that has SIM packs.
Bild

Beitrag von nils~ » 19 Apr 2006 17:35

robski hat geschrieben:
nils~ hat geschrieben:LG C1100 is GSM Dualband!

stupid crap lg :x can anyone tell me a phone that isnt too expensive that is triband if i decide to invest in one or give me an example of a motorola that is or if someone has a phone that is triband..which is good and reliable? cause ive had nothing but problems with the lg..prices would be great too if anyone can be bothered with that much effort haha :roll:

I think it would be more comfortable for you to heas to your local service provider or wheresoever you bought your cell, and ask for triband yourself. Those people should know better than I do for example, plus u can ask for prices in general or if u get called abroad. Since I'm not very into australian prices and contract policy! :D

Beitrag von robski » 20 Apr 2006 03:32

ive been looking at some motorolas and some of them are quadband..will these work in the states?
Bild

Beitrag von nils~ » 20 Apr 2006 11:41

You either can use Tri- or Quadband mobiles, both will work. As long as they fit to US-GSM standards!

Beitrag von nils~ » 20 Apr 2006 12:02

@Ainkara

IN US there are also prepaid cards from cingular available.

Beitrag von Jenn - Melbourne Office » 20 Apr 2006 12:51

Hey,

Please keep in mind that on most camps you are in the middle of no where. Meaning that even if you have a phone; coverage is going to be a problem.

Also, please keep in mind some camps don't allow their staff to have mobile phones on camp as this encourages campers to use them and also note things do go missing on camp! :-(

Cheers,

Jenn
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Bild
[/url]

Nächste

Zurück zu Camp America