AIFS Forum

Das Forum rund um alle Programme von AIFS

Credit Cards? - MONEY

Für Camp America Teilnehmer und diejenigen, die es noch werden wollen!

Credit Cards? - MONEY

Beitrag von Miss_Amy_Tamy » 15 Apr 2007 16:27

How is everyone using their money's in USA?
Credit cards?
Travlers Cheques?
Do our bank cards work over there?

What are the fees??? Anyone have a good credit cards?

So much to orginise, cant keep up.

THANKS ALL
AMY xx
AMULAR xox

Re: Credit Cards? - MONEY

Beitrag von bwirmer » 15 Apr 2007 17:15

>Credit cards?

I'll take my visa with me but there's a 1,5% fee on every use abroad and it's not as wide accepted as Travelers Cheques.

>Travlers Cheques?

1% fee, insured, widely accepted - my #1 choice

>Do our bank cards work over there?

Yes, if there's a Maestro/cirrus sign on it. In Germany there's a fee of app. 4 EUR if you use an ATM abroad and a fee of 1% if you pay in shops/hotels etc.
Anyone else heading Camp Volasuca? ICQ# 162280982

Beitrag von BhreeR » 16 Apr 2007 02:56

Hey guys

Look into getting a cash passport. Its like a bankcard for wateva country your in. Im gettin one for America, and the balance is all in American dollars. U cant use it over the counter etc, only in the atms to draw out money. Its safe as u require a pin, get 2 cards wen u purchase the original and also can get a free one if urs is lost or stolen. U get charged a fee at the atm but compared to using a credit card it works out cheaper to just draw out cash. The money can be topped up from home by a family member or friend as well when ur overseas, as long as they hav the receipt from wen u buy it. Im not sure exactly how much the card is but its safe and easy to use so worth lookin into. I no the cards are available from travellex in Perth n places that change over money.
Sorry bout the mass msg , hope this helps

Bhree :)

Beitrag von Dan ghouly » 16 Apr 2007 09:16

i would advise against credit cards, cause i can imagine everybody will be spending alot of money over there, so it will be high fees no doubt and the intrest will be killer... i got myself a debit card!!! no intrest.
Every action has a reaction, we have one planet and one chance.

-Rise Against

Beitrag von jessica-melon » 16 Apr 2007 11:41

does anyone know if any australian debit cards work in america?

like obviously you wont be able to use commonwealth there but can you use any other banks?

i think my dad is letting me use his visa when im away so i dont really know why im asking but....

Beitrag von Dumbass_surfer89 » 16 Apr 2007 12:05

haha you can use commonwelth extra there.
but you get charged liek 30 bucks fees every time you have to pull out cash so if your gunna do that get heaps of cash out.
but theres always a chance of getting robbed so ur pretty much screwed.
love
Matty . t...

yewwww never been overseas before canrt wait!.

Beitrag von Anja » 16 Apr 2007 12:19

Check with your personal Bank first - fees vary (at least in Germany) from Bank to Bank.

I have a Visa-Card - widely accepted :) (goes to the account of my dad for emergencies). Fee of ~1.5% for every transaction + yearly fee

I also have an EC card - worked fine for getting money at an ATM (7Eleven was free in NJ - ask for local fees!!!) - and was cheaper in getting cash than the Credit Card.

Now also have an Amex Credit Card - Fees apply, too, also widely accepted.

If you consider Travelers Cheques, consider the TC-Card. As far as I remember it's basically TC in a plastic form with a PIN and you can also "upload" more money via online-transfer (from your german/or other accounts or your parents can add some money to it ;) ).
http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cd ... p?us_nu=dd

If you get Cash - get up to $20-bills - higer bills might cause some problems in smaller stores...
Viele Gruesse,
Bild Anja (Forummama)

2014-? Wharton, NJ
2006-2014 Stuttgart
2006 Point Pleasant, NJ
1999/00 AuPair 4 Kids in Toms River,NJ
Home Rheinbreitbach

Webseite meines AuPair-Jahres und vielem mehr

Beitrag von em_melb » 16 Apr 2007 12:31

BhreeR hat geschrieben:Hey guys

Look into getting a cash passport. Its like a bankcard for wateva country your in. Im gettin one for America, and the balance is all in American dollars. U cant use it over the counter etc, only in the atms to draw out money. Its safe as u require a pin, get 2 cards wen u purchase the original and also can get a free one if urs is lost or stolen. U get charged a fee at the atm but compared to using a credit card it works out cheaper to just draw out cash. The money can be topped up from home by a family member or friend as well when ur overseas, as long as they hav the receipt from wen u buy it. Im not sure exactly how much the card is but its safe and easy to use so worth lookin into. I no the cards are available from travellex in Perth n places that change over money.

Bhree :)

Yeah I bought one from travellex about two weeks ago. When the us $ was0 .80 but anyway. I got $2000US and it cost me $2624. That includes a 1% fee. Everytime you withdraw from an ATM it will cost $2.50US so don't withdraw $20. Get a couple of $100 at a time.

Travellex also has a card for shop transactions an EFTPOS card. But you can't use it in ATM's and it is only available in AU$ so you are paying the exchange rate at the time of purchase. I don't think there is many other fees though. Didn't look into much.

Beitrag von drewvictor » 16 Apr 2007 16:05

I know you can use the debit cards, coz they are just like a credit card, im assuming you get slogged sum fees on it as well for using it?

Damn fees. I hate you all!
"It's the kid inside of us that keeps us all from going crazy..."
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von Miss_Amy_Tamy » 16 Apr 2007 16:10

so what is going to be the lowest fees??
does anyone know??
AMULAR xox

Beitrag von drewvictor » 16 Apr 2007 16:18

Cold hard cash!

*sigh*

Can we get our own US bank account as soon as we get there? Or do we need ugly things like Social Security numbers and all that? Coz that would be the cheapest way with your cash...

0.83! Thankyou Aussie dollar!
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von Anja » 16 Apr 2007 16:41

Usually Banks want to know your Social Security Number - so if you need one for Camp and can get one - you can open a bank account (and get some other things like Drivers License...).

If you have an SSN you can open an account - find a bank with a student account that is free (I got one from Commerce Bank http://www.commerceonline.com/ but a lot are regional banks!).
Make sure you know where you pay fees for what - especially if you go to a not-my-bank-ATM or out-of-state-ATM...
Most of these ATM cards have a visa-logo but it's only direct debit (since you have not build up a credit history in the states nobody will give you a credit card over there!).
If you get an account deposit your money (and spend it wisely :lol: )

@Miss_Amy_Tamy:
Ask you bank!!!
And Compare :)
OH yeah and ask for special deals or rates ;)

Oh yeah! There are banks that have "better contracts" or "better contacts" - like some that are connected with the Bank of America (at least some German Banks are offering 4 Transactions for free and some other goddies).
Just found two links - don't know if they are accurate or good, but here
http://www.quazell.com/bank/bank_usa.html
http://www.qualisteam.com/Banks/North_America/USA/
Viele Gruesse,
Bild Anja (Forummama)

2014-? Wharton, NJ
2006-2014 Stuttgart
2006 Point Pleasant, NJ
1999/00 AuPair 4 Kids in Toms River,NJ
Home Rheinbreitbach

Webseite meines AuPair-Jahres und vielem mehr

Beitrag von mad* » 17 Apr 2007 03:47

i was looking in to the cash card yesterday, the guy said it was the way to go, as he had heard stories recently of travellers chequs being rejected as they were too much trouble. the only proeblem is the there is a chance of looseing alot of money when you get back, because of the exchange rates... if you had money left on the card when you got back it would have to be paid out at the exchange rate of the time, this could mean looseing alot of money depending on how much was left over. people have also suggested gettin a credit card with a low limit for emergencies. jsut so there is always back up in any situation, you can get ones with no fees attaced, but intrests must be paid on every transaction.
XOXOX

Beitrag von Miss_Amy_Tamy » 17 Apr 2007 03:59

is a cash card like a debit card (you sign for it, like a credit card?) or is it just a savings card from the bank?

:)
AMULAR xox

Beitrag von mad* » 17 Apr 2007 06:11

a cash card is, the one talked about previously where you put in a certain amount of money, and it gets converted to american dollars. then there is no exchange rate in america only the transaction fee. so basically your balance is in american dollars. im not sure about debit cards... sorry
XOXOX

credit card

Beitrag von shanzza456 » 17 Apr 2007 06:35

[size=9]ahoyyy , i got a cash passport.. i looked into and it was a better option for me.. it didnt cost n e thing to sign up to get the card when i got it.. u get 2 cards... if u lose one u just start usin the other one... and if u run out of money ur parents or whoever can put money into the card... and i think when u get back if u got money left over they buy it back from u the rate that u got it... i think thats wat the lady told me.. but n e wayz have a look for yaselves

http://www.travelex.com.au
currency is the best its been for ages so chop chop n get ya cash in now uhhh
much love my lil cherries :D
[/size]

Beitrag von Deb27 » 17 Apr 2007 07:41

Hey guys, I went last year and took mainly travellers cheques and also my westpac debit card. Westpac have a global alliance with the Bank of America which means there are no ATM withdrawal fees on Bank of America ATMs, u get cash out at whatever the exchange rate is when you withdraw. Also, I found travellers cheques were accepted almost anywhere and very easy to use. I also took my Visa card just in case I needed it but never ended up using it. Hope this helps.

Beitrag von drewvictor » 17 Apr 2007 13:56

Yay!

Cheers for that Deb, big relief. I am gonna hit up ANZ for sum info about their debit cards, see if its free to use over there without the fees. If not, maybe i need another account for camp.

Thanks,

Andrew

PS- welcome to the forums. Its crazy in here!
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von drewvictor » 17 Apr 2007 14:34

Oooh k it appears that to use an ANZ Debit card with my account will cost $5 a pop for withdrawls...

Damn damn damn
-J.D., Scrubs

Westpac/Bank of America

Beitrag von Kirsten - Sydney Office » 19 Apr 2007 01:19

Deb is right that Westpac and Bank of America have an alliance where you can use either type of ATM with no fees. I have used this feature a lot!

When you make a withdrawal it also tells you your balance in the local currency, based on the current exchange rate.

Cheers,

Kirsten
Sydney Office

Nächste

Zurück zu Camp America