AIFS Forum

Das Forum rund um alle Programme von AIFS

Credit Cards? - MONEY

Für Camp America Teilnehmer und diejenigen, die es noch werden wollen!

Beitrag von drewvictor » 19 Apr 2007 17:31

Im assuming we wont have any problems finding a Bank of America ATM over there? :P

OK, so now i gotta go talk to Westpac ppl...
"It's the kid inside of us that keeps us all from going crazy..."
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von Kirsten - Sydney Office » 20 Apr 2007 01:03

They might not be EVERYWHERE, but are across most of the country. If you go here:

http://bankofamerica.via.infonow.net/lo ... dAction.do

You can search for locations, and on this page they also talk about the "ATM Alliance"

Cheers,

Kirsten

Beitrag von Deb27 » 20 Apr 2007 03:20

Hey, I found that there were Bank of America ATM's almost everywhere I went in America, and I went to a lot of places. The best thing I found to do was have a few travellers cheques as well and that way you could always use them instead and avoid using ATM's that charge fees.

Beitrag von Miss_Amy_Tamy » 20 Apr 2007 03:29

Where do u get travellers cheques?
How do u use travellers cheques?
Do you get change from a travellers cheques??

*****.H.E.L.P.*****
Im new at this stuff ;)
AMULAR xox

Beitrag von Anja » 20 Apr 2007 09:43

1. Got to your bank and tell them you want traveller's cheques. They might need to prepare or order them which might take a day or so.
They'll usually explain to you how it works, too.

2. It's a piece of paper with your name and signature, and the amount it's worth on it. You go to a store where you want to buy something, ask if they take it and if yes, you sign it then there a second time and you might need to show your passport.

3. Yes, whatever you don't use you'll get back in change. Don't take TC in too big dominations (I would call 50$ max - most of mine were always 20$) - for buying a chewing gum for 2$ and paying with a 100$ TC might not give you the greatest look ;)
Viele Gruesse,
Bild Anja (Forummama)

2014-? Wharton, NJ
2006-2014 Stuttgart
2006 Point Pleasant, NJ
1999/00 AuPair 4 Kids in Toms River,NJ
Home Rheinbreitbach

Webseite meines AuPair-Jahres und vielem mehr

Beitrag von drewvictor » 23 Mai 2007 17:10

Ok guys, it seems there IS an answer..

I was quizzing my friend who worked on a summer camp last year about how she carried her moola around, and she just said she had it all on credit. When I inquired about how much she paid in fees, she told me she has a Wizard credit card, and that one of the many bonuses of that card is there is no fees for overseas use.

How good is that? Google it. But its a Mastercard, no fees for overseas use when you use an atm, cash advances, or over the counter, plus it has NO ANNUAL FEE! Score!

I know its already really late, but im leaving in 4 weeks and trying to get it sorted in that time, here is hoping. What im thinking is, instead of paying for things on credit, just transfer all your money on2 the card, so when you use it, its taking the cash outta ur own money, instead of the credit. And I assume it just does the conversion between $AUS-$US depending on the exchange rate at the time. Must look into that.

But this seems like a good idea for those who wanna use something for EFTPOS like spending, with other cards you still have to go to an atm, and I dont wanna carry around mass amounts of cash.

Just an idea, hope it helps some, but i know im looking into it.

Andrew
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von Joelb » 24 Mai 2007 09:40

I've got myself a Visa Debit card, a Mastercard, Eftpos card and I'm going to set up a Bank of America account whilst over there and get one of those cards and will most likely be using that the most.

Either way you're going to get a charge for using card, travelers cheques etc but they are the easiest way to use and all you do is just when you buy something ask if you can get money out with it. This is what I did in China.
Howyagoin?

Beitrag von Vanessa2 » 25 Mai 2007 01:58

Mastercard dosen't work like a Visa card if you trf all your money onto it. If you trf your money onto Visa it goes into 'credit' and you have that money + your limit amount to spend. Mastercard shows your amount in 'debit' instead. I'm not too keen on travellers cheques cause you might be in a group of ppl and they have cash handy and can go off exploring, you have to go and find somewhere to change over money. Too much of a hassle. I am taking a credit card and mastercard debit card.

Beitrag von Anja » 25 Mai 2007 07:03

Most Stores accept Traveler Cheques just like cash - was never a problem.
Only "stupid" thing is that you need an ID - preferably a passport - with you.
Viele Gruesse,
Bild Anja (Forummama)

2014-? Wharton, NJ
2006-2014 Stuttgart
2006 Point Pleasant, NJ
1999/00 AuPair 4 Kids in Toms River,NJ
Home Rheinbreitbach

Webseite meines AuPair-Jahres und vielem mehr

Re: Credit Cards? - MONEY

Beitrag von drewvictor » 01 Mär 2008 09:11

Hey,

Just bringing this thread to the top of the list.

Check it out!

Also, to add my $0.02 to this topic, check out Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercard if you want a credit card specifically for America. Its great as it has no annual fee, and NO FEES FOR OVERSEAS USE! My Virgin Credit Card got hit with 1.5% fee, so saving on fees is the way to go.

Take a few forms to carry money, and have a credit card as a backup for emergencies.

Love Andrew
-J.D., Scrubs

Vorherige

Zurück zu Camp America