AIFS Forum

Das Forum rund um alle Programme von AIFS

A question about money

Für Camp America Teilnehmer und diejenigen, die es noch werden wollen!

A question about money

Beitrag von Michelle891 » 07 Jul 2007 14:50

Hi all

I've decided I'll definately apply for camp '08.. I can't wait!! I've started saving madly but was just curious, for those who have/are doing this, how much money did you take with you?

I know the airfares are a lot... $3500ish return from Australia, by the looks of it. I also read that you get paid an amount for working at camp, so I suppose that helps. I guess it also depends on how long you stay afterwards, and what you want to see and do! But just so I can get a general idea... and have some sort of goal to work towards here! How much has/is it costing you all up?

Much appreciated, thanks. :)

Beitrag von drewvictor » 13 Aug 2007 02:42

Michelle,

This is probably one of the most hotly debated topics of the pre-camp time.

First things first, where abouts in Australia are you going? You can still get relatively cheap flights, but my advice to you is start looking early. Peak season for travel seemed to be the day before I was supposed to leave this year (mid June) but I still got a good price. You can easily get flights for around $1500, but really research it. I went through STA travel as im from Perth, east coast people should check out Stu at Harvey World Travel in Manly, he is Camp America's supurb travel guy.

Money at camp? Im getting paid $1400, which, if i got a cheap flight, would almost pay for it. Fees are pretty high, as they have to pay for insurance, and visas, and that sorta thing. Spending money is as much as you want, varies depending on if you want to travel after camp, as I am, and if you are 21 or older, coz a lotta money goes into drinking.

if you do a bit of research, and budget well you can have an extremely fun, affordable summer. I know I did.

All the best,

Andrew
"It's the kid inside of us that keeps us all from going crazy..."
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von Michelle891 » 13 Aug 2007 10:39

Thanks very much!

Beitrag von Chloe » 13 Sep 2007 03:31

Hey Andrew,
You seem like you know heaps about camp life.
My friend and I are still deciding if we should apply for 2008.
It seems like the pressure is on to apply asap to get in, do you know how late you can leave it before missing out all together?

Did you spend a lot of money during the camp at all? Do you have a couple of nights off to have a few drinks with friends? hehe

Im getting excited about the idea of going but all this planning seems tricky!!

Chloe :D

Beitrag von drewvictor » 13 Sep 2007 04:42

Hey hey,

It is still insanely early for applications. Last year, I didnt even hear about Camp America until October, and I didnt actually apply til late February, and I still got into such an awesome camp. There are incentives like cheaper fees if you apply by (dont quote me on this) the end of September, but there is still so much time. Dont rush into it, do the research, and have a good look. You need all the information you can get. The information nights are invaluable, you have to go to the next one. They go through different jobs, the WHOLE application process, life at camp, flights, etc.

As for money? I was told you dont spend a lot, but I had 2 nights off a week, and on those nights we usually went out drinking, or spending money, whether it was at a cinema, or eating decent food for once. Its a good idea to budget, and some of my best nights out werent actually off camp, in the counselor hangout area watchin dvds or on the internet, or even catching up on precious sleep. What was good, is if u dont need you wage, the money you get paid for working, for after camp travel, you can normally get weekly advances.

My problem was spending a lot of money after camp, on this massive road trip that im still on. Budget, plan it out, but dont feel too pressured or restricted to not have fun.

Andrew
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von Kirsten - Sydney Office » 13 Sep 2007 08:27

Thanks Drew for your great posts, even while on the road!

"There are incentives like cheaper fees if you apply by (dont quote me on this) the end of September, but there is still so much time. "

I can clarify the early bird incentive; If you submit your application online by September 30, and complete your interview by October 31, you'll save $50 off of the application fee.

You're right that it's important to do your research, and coming along to an info meeting where you can meet staff, interviewers, and returned participants is a great source of information. If you can't come along, feel free to give us a call here at the office, and we'll help you out with any questions you have as well. Applying early is certainly helpful for your placement chances.

Hope this helps!

Kirsten
Camp America - Sydney Office

Beitrag von drewvictor » 13 Sep 2007 11:59

Ahaha you do what you can, and coming back from a night on the Strip in Vegas, checkin ye olde CA forum sounded like a plan, even at 4am.

I knew what it felt like to be applying for the first time and being so clueless, and just wanting some answers. Even then I was hesitant to post some things, as i felt they were really stupid questions, but there is so much that you want to know, so its good to have people who have been through the process, know what to do (and what NOT to) and just be there to clarify anything.

So if i help at least one person, well then ive done something.

Have fun

Andrew
-J.D., Scrubs

Beitrag von nicky83 » 22 Sep 2007 06:43

Hey there,
just remember as far as nights/days/time off, every camp is different.
My camp sice we were a YMCA camp and kids would come for 1 week sessions with a bunch whod stay over for 2 weeks, we would get from 12 midday saturday till 12 midday sunday off where most of us would go out to the nearest city/towna dn go shopping out for dinner movies etc, then come back to camp for the nght and hang out sleep in and stuff. During the week we would alternate with our cocouncelors having 2 hours off a day either over lunch or over dinner and then we could again go out and eat elsewhere, but our camp food was pretty good so we ate at camp quite a bit too. The only day wed have to work a full day was Friday, and that was fine cos it was closing campfire and closing ceremony which was always fun. Also as far as the drinking side of things go, remember you need to be at least 21 in teh sates and also some camps may not allow you to do this anyway. At my camp we were actually on contract NOT to drink regardless of our age. (a few did) but it really isnt worth it if your out drinking and someone sees you and recognises you to be assosiated with the camp it may not reflect well on you or the camp. reemebr we are there for the kids anyway, I say if you cant last a few months without drinking then i dunno. but its not that hard. but5 then again soem camps may allow it too.
Sorry about my rambling
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Bild
[/url]

Cant wait till i go back to Camp!!
the best time of my life!

Zurück zu Camp America