AIFS Forum

Das Forum rund um alle Programme von AIFS

more of a serious question

Für Camp America Teilnehmer und diejenigen, die es noch werden wollen!

more of a serious question

Beitrag von Zoe » 14 Sep 2007 10:54

Hey
I was wondering if anyone who has applied/going to apply or past campers have had a disability?

It's just I'm worried about my application because I've read into the Medical parts and stuff and I called Head office about it but I'm really nervous about not getting in because I have a slight disability.
Anyone know anything?

Beitrag von Leon in Brisbane » 14 Sep 2007 14:40

Can you elaborate on the disability at all? May help those in the know advise you better, however understandable if you don't wish to do so on a public forum.

Beitrag von Zoe » 15 Sep 2007 03:55

Leon in Brisbane hat geschrieben:Can you elaborate on the disability at all? May help those in the know advise you better, however understandable if you don't wish to do so on a public forum.

It's okay I'm used to disclosing my personal stuff, I have one eye, I lost it through bone cancer. I lost my socket and cheek bones as well.
I had the surgery two years ago in october and I have generally really really good health, I have a job and I go to school, drive a car and I look after kids here and I've never had a problem, It's just I don't want them to see it as a problem.

Beitrag von nicky83 » 16 Sep 2007 05:33

Zoe,
There shouldnt be a problem. if it doesnt affect your performance I dont see why there should be an issue with it.
We had a girl at my camp 4 years ago who through cancer had a limp...she really had trouble walking and each day had to do some physio and there wasnt a problem
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Bild
[/url]

Cant wait till i go back to Camp!!
the best time of my life!

Beitrag von Zoe » 17 Sep 2007 03:29

nicky83 hat geschrieben:Zoe,
There shouldnt be a problem. if it doesnt affect your performance I dont see why there should be an issue with it.
We had a girl at my camp 4 years ago who through cancer had a limp...she really had trouble walking and each day had to do some physio and there wasnt a problem

That makes me feel alot better about applying thanks :)

Beitrag von Tessa » 02 Okt 2007 16:34

Hi Zoe,
I went to camp this year with a facial inperfection and I had no problems whats so ever.
Thats not the sort of medical issue there looking for, its more cancer and other things that need to be watched, you know?

You will be fun and everyone is lovely :)
Been and done camp,
BEST EXPERIENCE EVER
I recommend summer camp to everyone!

AMAZING TIME AT IGC..loved every second

Beitrag von Mac » 06 Okt 2007 12:55

Hi, Zoe.

I've been an interviewer for many years with Camp America and whilst I've never interviewed a person with one eye, if you'll excuse the pun I really can't see it being a problem at all. When we interview, we consider what you CAN do, not what you CAN'T do. Apply with confidence, talk openly with your interviewer and give it your best shot. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Beitrag von fishiz3434 » 12 Okt 2007 02:05

hey zoe...i'd not think it would b a problem at all...i've been told of ppl getting in who only have 1 arm and if u hav a good eye then shudn't b a prob :)
****You may be jus one person to the world but to one person you may be the world****

))))YAY got a nomination(((((

Re: more of a serious question

Beitrag von mellymoo » 26 Dez 2007 23:20

I have a question too. I broke my lower leg in August and I had to get a plate, 8 screws and a pin put into my leg. I seem to be walking fine now. i work with children at a childcare centre so they are still pretty active. Will that be a probelm ?

Re: more of a serious question

Beitrag von drewvictor » 29 Dez 2007 11:29

"Mellymoo"

Interesting nickname there..

How badly did you break it that you needed a plate, screws and pins? Bet there is a story there...

The fact that you can walk ok, only 4 months after means a lot. If you're recovery is going well, then there shouldnt be a problem. Bear in mind you wont be in America til June, so you can add another 6 months of recovery.

Have a think about what you would be doing at camp... Obviously if you are teaching soccer as well as ballet, have a recently broken leg might affect that, but if you are a General Counsellor, or teaching something that doesnt require specific leg movement, I cant see how there is a problem..

At an Interview, you would only get knocked back if the injury impedes every day life. Come June, if you are in a wheelchair, or on crutches, sure, maybe give Camp a miss this year. But really, if you can walk now? Heck, may as well pack your bags seeing as you will be going to Camp.

Have a great New Year.

Andrew
"It's the kid inside of us that keeps us all from going crazy..."
-J.D., Scrubs

Zurück zu Camp America